Saturday, September 10, 2005

 

The Sun and Moon

I have long noticed that I act differently when I am around different groups of people. I've talked with my friends about it and they agree--how we behave, and even how we think changes depending on the people we are with. But surely some of me remains the same despite the change of influences. Otherwise we would all be merely changelings, altering our personalities to fit the scene and the characters. That cannot be right. There most definitely is more. The way I feel about certain issues doesn't change, I just might defend them differently. Because I alter my arguments to what I think will help different people understand.

I remember the births of my three little brothers, and how even as infants they were distinct personalities, different from each other. Jonathan, the moment he was born, wanted to be with my dad, and only chose mom when he was hungry. My mom and dad still joke about it. We all love my dad very much, but Jonathan was the only one that preferred him. I believe it was so because a child comes into this world as himself, and no one else. They are their own character.

I think part of why we change a little bit when we are with different people is that we respond to that pull. I learned from my biology class that neutrons and protons bond and separate because they are searching for equal weight, to be positively and negatively balanced. Two atoms will combine because they both have something the other can use, and they either give up that part of the atom or unite so that together they are whole.

When with different friends we might become more out-going or shyer, to listen more or to take charge. And sometimes two friends are equally talkative at the same time. I think it all depends on what one person needs from another--maybe because we want to be liked, or so that we feel like we are needed. I suppose in a good friendship or marriage the relationship would be rather that of the sun and moon in that one reflects the other, and that the two people take turns being the sun.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?