Monday, January 23, 2006
Why, in the United States, Are Grades Given as Letters?
I think it is because, for one thing, letters provide a lot of entertainment for people who like to be creative with words. For example, with an "A" grade I believe it stands for "above expectations," (that is as probable as anything else, but if you know otherwise, let me know) so, then, one can come up with many more descriptive words such as "absolutely fabulous," "academically advanced," "A-grade-that-one-wants-to-have-for-college-transcripts," "actually quite good," etc. The enjoyment is pretty real in de-abbreviating letters.
Okay, another reason might be that the person who first decided how school grades would work probably liked English better than Math (numbers), Chemistry (chemical symbols), and Art (pictures). Thus, we have letters, rather than anything else.
As perhaps you can tell, I received my semester grades today, and that set me a-wondering. What would life be like without the standard grading letters? Would our civilization fall into disarray? Would we finally convert to the metric system? No, most likely not . . . but there's no harm in hoping!
Okay, another reason might be that the person who first decided how school grades would work probably liked English better than Math (numbers), Chemistry (chemical symbols), and Art (pictures). Thus, we have letters, rather than anything else.
As perhaps you can tell, I received my semester grades today, and that set me a-wondering. What would life be like without the standard grading letters? Would our civilization fall into disarray? Would we finally convert to the metric system? No, most likely not . . . but there's no harm in hoping!
Comments:
<< Home
Yeah that is a pretty good question. Why do we get letter grades? Well anyways I'll give your blogs an A!
Ps how was your day?
Post a Comment
Ps how was your day?
<< Home
