Monday, January 16, 2006

 

Why Is the Sky Blue?

I love asking why. Partly because it is a good way to get a conversation going if I only know a little bit about someone, partly because I like matching up someone else's answer against what I know. Mostly I love asking why just because I love knowing why, I love the feeling at the moment of discovery.

The answer to "why" is so much more interesting than the answer to "what." I think that is one reason that I love history--I could ask what the capital of Russia is, but that answer holds no intrest for me if I don't know why. On the other hand, I would be fascinated to know why the capital of Russia is Moscow. Just think of the value difference in only knowing what or where something is opposed to knowing all the intricacies of why. If I ask my teacher why the capital of Russia is Moscow than I will be answered with a reason (political, geographiical, historical) that would help me to put the world together.

In my Chemistry class the other day we watched a movie about a plane that vanished over the Andes. We were all spellbound as the story unravelled: we were learning why. Once we were presented with the problem, we all wanted to see what the cause of it was, we wanted to know why the plane had gone down. I think wanting to know why is just something about us all. Simply put, we want to know.

I love asking why. Even more so, I love being answered why. I love putting my world together like a puzzle and then understanding the picture that I have fitted together.

FYI, the sky is blue because blue is the only color that has the right wave lengh to pass through the earth's atmosphere. :)

Comments:
WHY are your blogs so amazing Camilla?! You're my hero.
Ps how was your day?
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?