Monday, November 21, 2005

 

Save the Food!

I love being in a big family; there are many pros and very few cons. One very unfortunate con is the regretable development of the instinct to lunge for your favorite food at the dinner table. This arises, in my family at least, from no lack of food--we have no fear that we will starve. It is simply an impulse that must be overcome.

I think the instinct comes from a developed sense that if we can get to the food before anyone else, and if no one forces us to stop before the food is on our plate, then we are safe. Kind of like the game of tag. Aother example is baseball: if we get to the plate before the ball, we are safe. It is a game.

A few years ago my sister and I went to Hawaii with our Girl Scout troop--it was a total blast, the people are incredibly kind, and the trip ruined pineapple for me for the rest of my life because no pineapple will ever measure up to fresh Hawaiian pineapple. We were eating buffet style and I had gotten something that my sister hadn't. She asked for a bite and reached onto my plate and I yelled "No!" and quickly pulled my plate away. And then I came to my senses, there was no reason my sister shouldn't have some! But my instantanial response was primal: "Ahhh! She's taking my food!"

Thanksgiving is a wonderful time. Not only are we able to focus on all our many blessings, but we are also able to know, even on the most sub-conscious leval, that there is enough food for up to thirteen second servings.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?