Thursday, May 04, 2006

 

Rainstorm

Tossing winds, heralding clouds, the moment before all breaks lose—I love rainstorms! It feels as though the entire day of a thunderstorm tension is building and building until the first break or droplets; and then it is upon me—the tumult of the day resolved into the healing, lulling, and purifying clarity of rain. The fuzzy tension of the day resolved into the mantra of rain. Born again.

Ever since I was little I have loved storms and the stillness and freshness that come after. On a storm day, I used to take my umbrella outside and stand on a speed-bump, and when a gust of wind came up I would feel the lift in my umbrella-sail and almost leave the ground, just like Mary Poppins, and then have the singular joy of feeling rain drops falling on my head.

There is something so peaceful in this act of God. I love going to sleep when it is raining—hearing the soft patter and feeling safe and warm in my bed.

The air smells so clean after a rainstorm, and everything looks cleaner: sparkly and bright. There is a greater feeling of perspective and the enduring occasion that has flooded rivers, given life to crops, dispelled fires, cleared pollution from the air, and given joy to little eight-year-olds.

Comments:
Yay for rain! You know that speed bump things a pretty good idea. Remind me to try it some time. You're amazing!
Ps how was your day?
 
I love rainstorms too! Especially at night. They help me get to sleep. :)
-Hannah
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?